Saturday, July 20, 2013

When Your Brain Takes a Turn..

Confession time - I suck at writing romance, but it's something I'm determined to fix.  While the story in my head is mostly science fiction, it's slowly turning into a romance.  My plot didn't include this, but hey, what works, works!  I've never had anything against romance, I've read historical regency romances, erotica, etc.  I don't blush and giggle and flip through the pages quickly to get past the sex scenes.  But I just can't seem to get my head wrapped around a good romance scene.

I'm fairly easy to get along with on the romance side, I don't like dinners I have to dress up for.  My boyfriend knows that I prefer sunflowers over roses and jelly beans over chocolate.  My best date ever involved a bowling alley and going home to watch Star Wars.  And to quote my best friend, "She'll only spare your feelings once if you bug her for a date and she doesn't want to go.  After that, she'll tell you bluntly why she doesn't like you."  So yeah, romance and me are usually on two different pages.

I was trying to work this romance thing into my plot and was browsing through Google to see if I could make something spark in my head.  I come across an article (and I wished I had kept it, but I didn't) that was attempting to help with plots.  One of the points was What if Cinderella discovered Prince Charming had a secret dungeon?  My brain immediately takes a trip South and comes up with "My, they could have a lot of fun!"   Apparently my brain has taken a turn for the warped.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't help writing two characters that want a bit of love instead of a quickie in a dungeon.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I have the opposite problem. All of my stories end up with romances in them. I even tried writing a story without romance to see if I could...but it morphed into one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - May I touch you and hope some romance writing karma rubs off? I'm usually pretty good without the romance, but these two characters are determined to take me out of my comfort zone.

      Delete