Friday, July 5, 2013

Free Writing

One thing I was always taught - if you're stuck, just write whatever comes to mind!  Unfortunately, my brain comprehends that as "Now's the time to go crazy, let's just show people how deranged Mel can really be!"  The results:

The clowns were after me.  Short clowns, tall clowns, fat clowns, skinny clowns, clowns on stilts.  Lots and lots of clowns chasing me down a narrow alley that didn’t seem to end.  Each of them were dressed up in their little clown suits and trying to squirt water at me with that little flower on their lapel.

I glanced behind me to see if they were gaining ground and my heart skipped a beat.  The clowns were still there, but had stopped.  A couple of them at the front were holding the handle of a giant slingshot.  And pulled back into the band had to be the biggest banana peel I have ever seen.  I am talking a King Kong sized banana peel.

They had the band pulled taunt now.  I looked down and realized that my feet had stopped moving.  I took off running again, back down the alley.  I tried sending mental messages for my feet to go faster.   Come on feet, get moving.  My heart was thumping hard in my chest, and I couldn’t breathe.  Icy fingers were creeping up my back at the same time I felt like I had jumped into a fire.

A large shape loomed over me, the shadow on the ground looking exactly as I would imagine an open banana peel would look from underneath.  I urged my feet to move faster as the banana peel started falling.  My ears started buzzing, an annoying bee-like sound.   I swatted at my ear and kept moving, no end of the alley in sight.

I dared to look up and there it was.  The king of all banana peels was hanging in mid-air, taunting me.  I stumbled and fell, my knees hitting the pavement in a bone-jarring thump.  I cursed myself for not keeping my eyes in front of me or on the ground.

The buzzing was still there in my ear, and I swatted at it again.  I couldn’t move, the pain in my knees had knocked the breath out of me.  That blasted banana peel was still there, and the clowns were all laughing at me.

I raised my eyes to the banana peel and it started to descend.  I was kneeling on the pavement still, the only thing going through my head was that this thing was going to eat me.  I was going to become banana peel food!

I was frozen as the banana peel kept falling towards me, I couldn’t force myself to get up.  The clowns were chanting something I couldn’t quite make out, the bee in my ear was more annoying than ever, and the banana peel was almost at me.

The next thing I remember was staring at the underside of my comforter.  I reached over and knocked the alarm clock off the stand, trying to hit the snooze button.  It kept buzzing and I started wishing for a baseball bat.  That would end the buzzing for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment