Friday, July 5, 2013

The Story of a Name

Melanie Drake exists only in my mind.  For all intents and purposes, though, she is me.  Like most names, this one has a story.

Melanie

My "online handle" has been Melinca for almost 20 years.  My favorite game is Zelda, with the main character being Link.  I adored Link, so for my very first game, I tried to use the name Linka (with the a to make it more feminine).  It was already taken, but I was doodling on a scratchpad and had Me = Linka!  Melinka was born.  I had an issue with that k and ended up turning it into a c, thus becoming Melinca.

Several years down the road, on yet another game, everyone was calling me Miss Mel or Mel, so when it came to a psuedonym, I figured why not start the name with Mel?  I'm already used to being called that.   There are a lot of Melissa's already in my family, and only one Melanie, so Melanie it became.

Drake

Drake is quite a bit easier to explain.  I love fantasy almost as much as science fiction and I collect dragons (and frogs).   A drake is a young dragon.


Melanie Drake's alter ego is a full time student, full time worker.   In her off time, she likes camping, writing, gaming, the water, and gardening.   Sometimes, she even combines them.  She wrote a satirical "gossip" column for an online game for almost two years before work and studying cut into her time.

No comments:

Post a Comment